Residential Plumbing in
Barrhaven is a bustling community established as a suburb of Ottawa in the 1960s. The population census in 2016 states almost 90,000 people call Barrhaven home. Most housing stock in Barrhaven will be between 15 and 55 years old — not exactly historic, but no longer young, either.
One of the ways Barrhaven homes are showing their age is with the increasing numbers of plumbing issues. Out of This World has completed thousands of plumbing repairs in Barrhaven, and we’ve taken note of common issues you are likely to find in each neighbourhood.
Ask us a Question
If you’re not ready to book yet, feel free to complete the form below. We will respond to your request within 2 hours or less (during office hours). If you want to schedule a service call, please use our online schedule tool or if it is an emergency call us 24/7 at: (613) 519-1342.
Why Choose Out of This World?
Your Trusted Barrhaven Plumbers
All our techs are thoroughly trained and background checked, and our plumbers are Red Seal certified. We are committed to treating you, your home, and your pets (not to mention your plumbing system) with respect – 100% satisfaction guaranteed!
But don’t just take our word for it. Look at all the approvals and awards that our outstanding customer care has earned us: Baeumler Approved, Consumer Choice “Ottawa’s Best Plumbing Contractor” (3 years running), “Best of HomeStars Award” (6 years), and Top Choice Award (7 years in a row).
Signs of a Water Leak
Stay alert to the following signs that tend to indicate a water leak somewhere in your house. If you notice any of them, turn off the water valve and contact us for help.
- Unexplained spike in your water bill. When your water bill suddenly shoots up 10-20% for no apparent reason, that’s a clue you probably have a hidden water leak.
- Bubbling, discoloured, or peeling paint. Excess moisture from a hidden leak often affects the appearance or texture of paint on your walls or ceiling.
- Mysterious warm spots. Run your hands along the walls. If you feel any strange warm spots, you most likely have a big, noticable leak on your hands.
- Sound of dripping or trickling water. If you hear what sounds like running water coming from behind your wall – when no one is using your faucets, shower, or toilet — believe your ears and contact us for a leak inspection ASAP.
- Mould or mildew. When mould or mildew shows up on your walls, that’s a clear sign of excess damp – frequently caused by a plumbing leak. Even before it’s visible to the eye, mould growth may become obvious in the form of a musty, acrid smell.
- Wet floor or drywall. Wet or mouldy flooring, carpet, or drywall is a definite warning signal that water is flowing from somewhere.
- Water meter reading. Now, not all water meters can be read, so first check if your water meter has a legible dial. Avoid using any water in your house for the next 2 hours; then check the meter once again. A change in the reading will confirm that you do, indeed, have a leak.
Our Plumbing Services
Pipes may easily freeze and even burst in Barrhaven’s winter cold, particularly when the temperature falls below 15 degrees C. If your pipes have frozen, don’t panic — the Out of This World Plumbing team is here to help.
Learn more about getting your frozen pipes fixed
Undetected leaks will jack up your water bill and may result in serious damage to your home and belongings. If you suspect there’s a leak somewhere in your plumbing, contact us for professional leak detection and repair.
Whatever the issue — your toilet is clogged, won’t flush, is leaking, or makes strange sounds — we will provide fast toilet repair or replacement for you.
Learn more about our toilet repairs
A broken bathroom or kitchen faucet is a small plumbing fixture that can cause major hassles. Out of This World are your local faucet repair and replacement pros.
Learn more about our faucet repairs and installation
A sump pump will protect your home from flooding due to Barrhaven spring runoff or rainstorms. We’ll professionally install your sump pump and even help you get a City of Ottawa rebate if eligible.
Learn more about installing a sump pump
If you have an issue with your water heater (maybe it’s leaking or not getting your water hot enough), call us for water heater repair in Barrhaven. We fix any type of water heater — gas or electric, tank or tankless.
Learn more about our hot water tank repairs and installation
When you’re planning a new kitchen, bathroom, or laundry room, make professional plumbing work a part of those plans. Out of This World will handle all your plumbing needs — whether for new installation or for renovation.
Learn more about our kitchen, bathroom and laundry room renovations
Plumbing Pro Tip for Barrhaven Homeowners
Barrhaven is home to many families, and a larger household increases your risk of a blocked drain –especially a blocked toilet. Usually, you can clear the blockage with your trusty plunger. If you have trouble, you could be using the wrong type of plunger or the wrong technique. Check out our video on how to plunge like a pro!
Old Barrhaven & Barrhaven South
Home ages: 30-55 years
Most of the times we visit customers in this area of Barrhaven, it’s because of a leak. Water marks on ceilings and leaking shutoff valves, toilets and faucets are very common when homes get to this age. IMPORTANT: If you live here, ensure that your main water valve is functional. Find where the water comes into your basement and give the valve a twist – careful, it may be sticky as this valve tends to seize after decades of disuse.
Home ages: 15-25 years
Fixtures, pipes, and valves may start to show signs of wear in local homes. Customers often report leaking shutoff valves or leaky pipes under the kitchen sink or behind the toilet.
Home ages: 20-40 years
Toilets and faucets original to the house are often coming to the end of their life, and require replacement. Pipes and valves may begin to leak, especially under the kitchen sink. While many fixtures are still in good condition – many owners of homes in this age range are looking for upgrades or updates to their washrooms and kitchens.